Facts & Demographics

Ellisville Facts
  • Ellisville was incorporated in 1932. It remained a village until 1957 when voters approved a proposition for the village to become a city.
  • In 1993, Ellisville voters approved a Home Rule Charter creating a Council-Manager form of government.
  • Ellisville has been awarded the National Arbor Day Foundation's designation of "Tree City USA" for 31 consecutive years.
  • The city has parkland totaling 230.87 acres, which means there is approximately 1 acre of parkland for nearly every 40 residents. The park system is comprised of 11 parks which weave through residential neighborhoods and business developments and are connected by multi-use trails.
  • The City of Ellisville includes single-family homes, townhouses, apartments, duplexes, and condominiums. Lots vary from 1/2 to 3 acres in size.
  • With more than 574 businesses, the City of Ellisville combines a well-balanced mix of residential and commercial development.
  • AAA-rated Rockwood School District, one of the lowest crime rates in St. Louis County, and numerous facilities are just a few features our community offers.
  • Today, Ellisville provides comprehensive police, parks, planning, public works, and management services to over 9,000 residents. Ellisville is a suburban community; 1 of over 90 municipalities located in St. Louis County, Missouri.
  • Ellisville's business core is primarily service based, containing very little industry. Of the service-based businesses, a large component is retail. Despite having only 2 large-scale grocery stores, Ellisville has 5 automobile dealerships within the city limits. In addition, the retail sector is comprised of restaurants, service stations, electronics stores, and several shopping centers with big box anchors. The bulk of the remaining businesses are professional offices of attorneys, dentists, real estate offices, brokers, bankers, manufacturers' representatives, and more. The city is also the home of 1 large corporate facility: Cooper Bussmann Industries.
  • Because of the suburban nature of Ellisville, most residents commute to work outside the city limits. Public transportation for Ellisville is available and provided by Bi-State Development Agency of the Bi-State Metropolitan Development District. However, this service is not funded by the city.
  • The city is characterized by older subdivisions located somewhat centrally, while newer subdivisions have been platted and built near the city's outer boundaries. As a result, recreational needs, capital improvement and infrastructure needs, and issues relative to municipal taxation are all very different.
Community Demographics
The city's official population of record, as derived from the 2000 census, is listed as 9,104. Today, the City of Ellisville has approximately 3,625 occupied households, of which approximately 79% are single-family dwellings. The remaining 21% involves duplexes or multi-family apartment buildings.

The median age of Ellisville residents is approximately 38.8 years as listed in the 2000 census. The city's diverse demographics are as follows:
  • Under 18: 27.2%
  • 18-24: 5.7%
  • 25-44: 28.7%
  • 45+: 38.4%
The elderly population has grown significantly as a percentage of the total as a result of retirement and nursing home communities being built.
Ellisville is not currently very ethnically diverse, but our community welcomes greater diversity. As reported by the 2000 U.S. Census Bureau, the city is predominately made up of Caucasian residents at almost 95%, while the remaining roughly 5% of the population are Asian, African-American, Hispanic, or other races (including those that identify with 2 or more races).
Race Population Percentage
Caucasian 94.8%
Asian 1.9%
African American
Hispanic 0.9%
Other or more than 1 race